Doom Mapping Experience Project
Learning to make Doom maps
- level design
- detailing and texture use
- monster placement
To ensure fewer distractions from the process I invoke these limitations:
- No custom textures.
- No DM support.
- Avoid too much symmetry
- Proliferant floor and ceiling height changes
- A height change warrants a texture change
- Changing textures between neighbouring walls warrants an intermediary texture
- Texture doorways even if there is no door
- Prefer monster closets over teleport traps
- Plenty of contrast via light and textures
- Hide monster closets by flagging the linedef as "secret"
- Face enemies where you expect the player to enter
- Do not overpopulate ammo and health bonuses
- Limit the number of doors the player has to open, mostly only when necessary
- More windows between rooms